“Ah,even Tessa left something behind,”I announced“哈,连泰莎的东西也忘带走了。”我说道。
“All mirrors,”says George Macdonald.“The commonest room is a room in a poem when I look in the glass”
“凡事皆镜像,”乔治·麦克唐纳说。“从镜子里面看,再普通的房子我也觉得充满诗情画意。”
……We may transport ourselves to the mountains or the seashore, and visit the most beautiful parts of the
earth,without fatigue,inconvenience,or expense……我们还能遍访山川海岸,尽享大地之最美,而不觉疲倦,
没有不便,更不用破费。
After five minutes of crying,arguing and finally compromising,I decided that I’d go inside if my mom came
first thing in the morning.在哭闹了五分钟之后,我最终妥协了,心想如果明天妈妈一大早就来接我,那我现
在就进去。
Being at Harvard can be overwhelming,but there is no other place I’d rather be.虽然哈佛的学业压力会很大,
但我就是宁愿待在这里。
Books,indeed,endow us with a whole enchanted palace of thoughts.书籍的确赐予我们一座令人神往的思想
宫殿。
But Elizabeth beat the other girl to the wall for the victory.但是伊丽莎白先于另一个女孩触壁,赢得了比赛。
But,she said,“I wish that all their pleasure in the park is but a shadow to the pleasure I find in Plato.但她说:
“我希望他们在园子里打猎的快乐,与我在柏拉图文字里获得的愉悦相比,只不过是影子而已。”
Collaboration in study groups is a huge part of surviving Harvard’s tough academic load.学习小组合作学习对
应对哈佛繁重的学习任务起着重要的作用。
Einstein is the closest you get to describing genius,even small kids know him.描述天才时,爱因斯坦是你能
到的最适合的例子,就连小孩都熟悉他。
Elizabeth treaded water while her teammate put on the sock.队友给她穿袜子时,伊丽莎白踩着水。
He prompted us to remain grateful to God that we had ended up together.他提醒我们要对上帝心存感激,因
为我们终于在一起了。
I applied as a pre-med student but this semester has shown me that there are virtually limitless options to
explore before declaring my major next year.我申请的是医学预科,但一个学期下来,我发现在下一年确定专
业之前,我实际上有无数的方向可以选择。
I decided to visit both campuses before making my final decision,and to my surprise,fell in love with Harvard.
我决定先实地考察一下这两所学校再做最后选择,没想到的是,我竟然喜欢上了哈佛。
It seems like every time our family gets together something is left behind.似乎每次我们家庭聚会以后,总会留
下点什么东西。
Looking back,I’m astonished that,while it seem everything in our lives was changing,nothing had changed
whatsoever.当我回想过去,令我惊讶的是其实一切都没有改变,尽管看起来我们的生活样样在变。
Memories are always left behind,I reasoned,and what a precious thing good memories are to us.我寻思着,
有些记忆总是留存在脑海里,美好的记忆对我们来说是多么的珍贵啊。
Most notably,I let go of the promise I had once made her that I would become a doctor.最值得一提的是我放
弃了曾经向妈妈许下的要当医生的诺言。
Nowhere in the world could we find another academic that rivals the popularity of rock superstars.全世界都
rain的照片不到另一个像他那样的学者,其知名度可以与摇滚巨星媲美。
She had to go back and touch the wall,so that hurt her time.她又得
游回去触碰池壁,这样一来耽搁了时间。
That was really cool to watch,and she flipped very well.看她游泳真是太棒了!她转身转的非常好。
That’s because there is one more thing besides memories left behind…and that is love.那是因为,除了留下
的记忆以外,还有一样东西保留下来了,那就是爱……
Then,of course,there are some memories that need to be left behind.The memories of past hurts,
unforgiveness,bitterness,and anger should be left behind forever.当然,也有一些记忆是该忘却的。那些曾
经的伤害、怨恨、苦痛、愤怒的记忆应该永远忘却。
There is no genius in the world as respected and as loved as loved as albert Einstein.His picture with his
distinctive hairstyle even became a pop culture icon.世界上没有哪个天才如同阿尔伯特•爱因斯坦一样受到人
们如此的尊敬和爱戴。他那留着与众不同的发型的照片甚至成为一种流行文化的标志。
There is no other personality in the academic world that has even half Einstein’s popularity.在学术界,其他人
的知名度连爱因斯坦的一半都不及。
This continues until everyone on the team has completed a lap.这样不断交换,直到每个队员都完成一个来回。
What’s great about Harvard and its surrounding area is that everthing is so accessible哈佛及其周边地区值得
称道之处是:一切都相当便利。
With every step along the way,it became clear that letting go of my mother was the only way I would be able
to live my life—a life in which I believed myself to be more than the daughter who wasn’t good enough to be
loved by her mother.一路走来,我开始明白:唯一能让我开始自己人生的方式便是放下对母亲离去的那份伤感。
在这样的人生中,我相信自己不仅仅是一个因表现得不够好而得不到妈妈爱的女儿。
Without stirring from our firesides we may roam to the most remote regions of the earth,or soar into realms
where Spenser’s shapes of unearthly beauty flock to meet us,where Milton’s angels peal in our ears the
choral hymns of paradise.无须起身离开火炉,我们就可以漫游天涯海角,或是飞到斯宾塞笔下的王国,在那
里我们受到成结队非凡美丽的仙女们的欢迎,或是飞到弥尔顿的天堂,在那里我们欣赏天使们合唱天堂颂歌。
CD的音质胜过任何盒式录音带。No cassette tapes could rival CDs in terms of sound quality
更重要的是学生们明白了在学习和娱乐之间需要到平衡点