与身体各部位有关的美语俚语
           
               
                    从头到脚:与身体各部位有关的美语俚语1
ARM 臂
  The car cost him an arm and a leg. 买这辆车他可花了血本。
  She’s my right arm. 她是我的得力助手。
  He was strong-armed into doing it. 他被迫这么做的。
  No one’s twisting your arm to do it! 没人强迫你这么做!
  They always walk arm in arm down the street. 他们常常手挽手地沿街走
  BACK 背
  Get off my back! 别再来烦我了!
  I don’t like her. She always gets my back up. 我不喜欢她。她总是惹我生气。(此用语原指动物,常用于描述猫发怒。)
  She’ll give the shirt of her back for her friends. 她帮助朋友不遗余力。
  She turned her back on me when I needed her. 我需要她帮助时,她拒绝了我。
  This time, I’ll give you the work for free. You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours. 这一次我把这个作品赠送给你,你帮助我,我也帮助你。
  BONE 骨
  We’d better go to the market because we’re down to the bare bone essentials. 我们只剩下一些生活必需品了,最好去市场上买点东西。
  Let’s get down to the bare bone essentials. 我们来讨论一下正经事吧。
  I have a bone to pick with you. 我对你有点意见。
  I need to bone up on my English. 我得好好学英语。
  This work is bone-breaking! 这项工作很辛苦!
  She’s a real bonehead. 她真是个大傻瓜。
  Wake up, lazy bones! 醒醒吧,懒骨头!
  She made no bones about telling him to leave. 她直截了当地让他走了。
  He’s nothing but skin and bones. 他骨瘦如柴。
  BRAIN 脑
  She’s a real bean brain. 她真是个大笨蛋。
she解散了  She’s such a birdbrain! 她是个大傻瓜!
  She’s very brainy. 她很聪明。
  Since you’re an expert, would you mind if I pick your brain for half an hour? 你是专家,那你是否介意给我半个小时,让我向你讨教一些问题?
  I racked my brain(s) for an hour but couldn’t remember her name! 我绞尽脑汁想了一个小时也没能想起她的名字!/ I racked my brain(s) trying to find a solution. 我苦思冥想,力求到解决问题的办法。
  He’s such a scatterbrain. 他这人真没头脑。/ She’s so scatterbrained! 她太浮躁了!
  CHEEK 面颊
  She said it tongue in cheek. 她说的是风凉话。
  Her mother turned the other cheek when she took the cookie. 她拿饼干时,她妈妈装作没看见。
  CHEST 胸
  I need to talk to you and get this off my chest. 我要跟你谈一谈,把心里的烦恼都说出来。
  EAR 耳朵
  So what happened? I’m all ears. 发生了什么?我正洗耳恭听呢。
  She bent my ear for an entire hour. 她缠住我足足谈了一个小时。
  “My father’s a
           
               
                    lot smarter than yours!” “Go blow it out of you
r ear!” “我爸比你爸帅多了!”“胡扯!”
  She can really chew your ear off. 她能说得让你耳朵都起老茧。
  The pages of this book are all dog-eared. 这本书的书页都卷起来了。
  She has an ear for music. 她具有音乐方面的天赋。
  I heard an earful of gossip today. 我今天听到不少闲话。
  He has all the earmarks of being a thief. 他天生一副贼相。
  Stop explaining. It’s all falling on deaf ears. 别解释了,没人会听的。
  She’s able to learn a new language by living in a country for only half a year. She must have a good ear (for language). 她在一个国家只要待上半年就能学会一门新语言。她一定有语言方面的天赋。
Keep your ear to the ground! 听仔细了!
  I perked up my ears when I heard her mention my name. 我一听到她提我的名字就竖起了耳朵。
  She doesn’t read music at all. She plays everything by ear. 她不看乐谱,光凭记忆演奏。(play by ear也常常用于音乐之外,指“临时应付事态”,如:Maybe we can have dinner together next week. Let’s just play it by ear. 也许到下星期我们可以一块儿吃顿饭,到时候再说吧。)
  I think the boss is gonna be laying off those who aren’t working hard enough. I just put a bug in your ear. 我看老板会炒了那些工作不够卖力的,我只是先给你们透点口风。
  She talked my ear off for a whole hour. 她唠叨了整整一个小时,真烦!
  ELBOW 肘,肘部
  The stain will come off. It just takes some elbow grease. 污渍是可以洗掉的,不过要费点劲。
  We had to elbow our way through the crowd. 我们得从人中挤过去。
  I can hardly move. Give me some elbow room. 我差不多动不了了,给我让点地方吧。
  When I went to Hollywood, I rubbed elbows with all the movie stars. 我去好莱坞时,和所有这些电影明星都有过接触。
  EYE 眼睛
  an eye for an eye 以眼还眼,以牙还牙